-->
no
no

My recycled top nautical style.

18 comments
This is my before picture.  The top looks too cutesy, especially with the flower made of buttons. The top is made from tshirt material.



Time for a revamp! Been seeing a lot of rope in clothing recently. Why not add it to mine? I used the pink rope from the Mooncake packaging I blogged about in September, and bought some jewel embellishments from China Town. Then I went wild with my hot glue gun.  The only downside I had with this project is that I wasn't able to control the amount of glue coming out of the gun.  I think if the nozzle was finer I would have had less glue oozing out.  I also burnt myself  :-(  Have to be careful next time!


 
The rope.  I was going to make a nautical themed belt out of it, but I don't really use a lot of belts, and I would wear a nautical themed top more often than a belt.




The "jewels".  My son actually thought they were wishing stones (too many fairy tales!)


Remember to place a piece of card at the back. You don't want the glue to run onto the back of the garment. I didn't use any pattern, but making almost symmetrical would be pleasing to the eye.  I did think of just doing the left hand side of the garment and taking the rope all the way to the underarm of the right arm, and making it a one shoulder item, but I'd already stuck the embellishments on....


Tadaah!  I really like it. :-)  


My nautical themed top.

Update on 16 Jan 2011 - thought I'd update to say that I have washed it in the washing machine with no probs so far. Remember to turn it inside out and put it in a laundry mesh bag though, and use the cold cycle.  Oh, I left it to dry and "set" for a couple of days so I didn't wash it immediately :-)


Update on 13 Apr 2011 - I saw a super cool version using normal rope and it has a pattern too. It's at Inspiration & Realisation



Update in Mar 2012 - I've posted the latest on what has happened to my nautical themed top. Sadly, I have to say that it no longer looks as nice as it did. And that's because.... click here.

Update in Sep 2012 - I've refashioned it further and it no longer bears the embellishments but pretty ruffles. I'm glad that I can make it last a little longer in my wardrobe :-)

author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

18 comments

  1. This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing! I definitely have to try this one day.

    btw, I found you on WR. Love your blog.

    Just Better Together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Justine. I'm glad you like the tute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! After the holidays I will work on crafts for myself and this will be one! I have some of that rope :)
    Thank you! Happy Holidays to you and yours!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Thank you for tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Teresa, dragicap & Tincha - I'm glad you like it! Have a great break over the Christmas & new year ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks beautiful. Can you tell me how well it washes? does the glue come undone? I would like to try to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jen! I'm glad you like it.
    I've washed it 3 times now but in cold water. So far so good. I don't think you can wash it in warm or hot water if you've used glue. I also turn top inside out & pop it in a laundry mesh bag before I add it.

    Another tip for this tute is that I've found that if I use a rope that's not too thick it won't be so heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable! i love the new look. I will feature this today at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "feature" button.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this! I have some rope so I will have to do this! I love your blog I like making crafts and decor out of materials around my home. I have some upcycled projects on my blog you should check it out. http://breakingfreefromoldways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this! I made a nautical bag last summer (http://davidandamieallen.blogspot.com/2010/07/nautical-bag.html) and just today I bought a cute little anchor charm for a necklace. This shirt is calling to me now, thanks for posting!
    Amie @ http://www.kittycatsandairplanes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fun! I made a similar nautical necklace last summer but never thought to put it on a t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone! It would be great to see how your version of the top turns out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Agy, your top is gorgeous! thanks for linking to my tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LIKE IT TOO! Could you separate rope strands to make the weight lighter, and then glue it on the shirt? Just a thought, seems it might be heavy with all that rope/glue/gems?

    :) :) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not so heavy, but I would use sewing methods instead as the glue actually runs when the weather is hot. My mistake... :-(

      Delete
  15. This is sooooo cute! I have a throwback themed link party, and this week's theme is anything nautical. I hope you'll stop by!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ <a href="http://www.usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/08/submarine-sunday-43.html>Submarine Sunday Link Party</a>

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really beautiful! I love your top! Thank you for sharing tutorial!
    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

no
no