-->
no
no

Men Can Sew Too!

8 comments
I remember when I first met my husband, he was wearing an army jacket and he told me that he had sewn the flags on all by himself - was he trying to impress me? On closer inspection, I noticed he had used hidden stitches - okay, he had my attention!  But I think in front of his pals, he dare not admit that he does a mean hand stitch. It's probably deemed unmanly to know how to sew these days, but what's wrong with men knowing their running stitch from their hem stitch? Famous fashion designers are men, and granddads and fathers who went to war know how to sew on a button, fix a seam, darn socks and even knit too. Cross-stitch kept this soldier going during his time as a POW. Sewing was also essential to polar explorers too. Look at this sewing kit that belonged to Captain Robert Scott:


N1050(2)
Image: Scott Polar Research Institute, Cambridge University



Image: Hock Gift Shop
Sewing kit is a standard issue for young men entering National Service in Singapore but sewing is not taught. In fact, sewing is no longer on the Home Economics curriculum ("It's not rocket science," said one of my male friends).

Why is there a stigma attached to men who sew, and why is it that sewing is considered feminine? Looking at the sewing and refashioning blogs, it looks like a female-dominated world!

I suppose nowadays, if a man wants to be involved in some sort of making, it has to be technology-based. Think 3-D printers, robots etc etc.  Actually, if it is okay for ladies to get techy why aren't men itching to get stitching? But, I'm happy to inform you that men do love sewing. I found a few men who are sew macho (get it?).  There's Peter at Male Pattern Boldness, the "world's most popular men's sewing blog" and was featured on Vogue Patterns. Oh, and did I mention he's self-taught? 

male pattern boldness
Image: Male Pattern Boldness
Man Can Sew also does a good job. He's making a wedding dress at the moment! Man Made DIY teaches the men the basics on mending and alterations.

created at: 09/03/2013
Image: Man Made DIY

And if you're thinking about a little more hip stuff, there's Daniel from Studs & Buttonholes


I still haven't found men who like to refashion though. I'm sure there are. Do tell me!
Does your man sew? 



author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

8 comments

  1. Great topic! Don is a firm favourite male stitcher, he uses recycled fabrics in his designs including old army tents etc http://urbandon.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erica! I've popped over to have a look and bookmarked his site :-)

      Delete
  2. That has to be the most unique pick-up line I've ever heard of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm a man. French man. How many times I search men loves sewing... But it's so rare...
    Thanks for this great topic and

    Sewing men power !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by. I just looked at your blog and think it's great. Keep up the sewing :-)

      Delete
  4. My man can fix a button and does simple sewing but he's lazy and depends on woman, me for pants alternation or mending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I agree with the lazy part for my hubby too. He now leaves everything to me :-)

      Delete

no
no