-->
no
no

Greeny Crafter - Offsquare

No comments

Last Saturday was very exciting, not to mention extremely busy. A group of us had organised the Singapore event for Fashion Revolution Day. Here's a video of the fashion show organised by local ethical fashion label, Etrican. We had a group of dancers model the clothes (inside out, of course!) and do a dance number afterwards.  More details later! But first, let me introduce you to this week's Greeny Crafter, Katrina of Offsquare.








Tell us a bit about yourself

I live in New Zealand with my Hubby and two preschoolers. While my Mum taught me to sew from a young age, it wasn't until our kids came along and I craved a creative outlet that I really got into it. Now I love sewing and refashioning old clothes into something not just wearable, but make me feel gorgeous! It's the best feeling knowing that your new dress used to be a pair of manky old trousers.



What was your first refashion? How did it feel after making it? 

That was converting a tweed skirt into a capelet about four years ago and I felt so empowered. I had created something unique, functional and head-turning for only a few dollars. It was such a rush to see the end result and I still get that same rush with each refashion today.



How do you find time for your refashioning? 

No matter what it is in life, you always find time for the things you love. I mostly sew in the evenings, but if I can snatch pockets of time during the day I certainly will. If I ever find myself child free for a day, I can never resist a quick loop around the second hand stores before settling down by the sewing machine.

If someone said "It's so cheap to buy clothes anyway, why bother?", what would you say? 

Oh, there are so many things I'd want to say! For me, it's not all about the money. I hate my wardrobe being dictated to by retail stores and current trends. Sewing/refashioning gives you total freedom. Can you believe that I couldn't find a chambray dress in my local stores at all last summer? I really wanted one, so just refashioned some trousers from the local op-shop for $1. I actually don't know how people CAN'T want to sew when it gives you so many options. 

Thank you, Katrina!  Stay tuned next week for another Greeny Crafter feature :-)
author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

No comments

Post a Comment

no
no