-->
no
no

New Thrift Store in Town!

1 comment
The demonstrations in Hong Kong and the resulting Government's response disturbed me a great deal. We really aren't sure how it will pan out. Although we are miles away in Singapore, we have family and friends there  - some supported Occupy Central, some didn't. We respect what others think, but what was very disheartening was the response from the Government. I won't go into details (there is just too much to write about though you can read this really good summary), but my question is "How can anyone trust a Government if it does not serve and protect its citizens (no matter which side they are on)?" and "Why all the dirty tactics?"

So, as you can imagine, I was literally glued to the computer and TV for updates. It was very difficult to discern what was the truth. Basically, I felt the whole city had regressed ...... So, last week, well, I didn't do much, I was actually feeling terrible. I had a good cry in front of a friend and got a hug. In fact, I needed a break - I tried to do some sewing, but couldn't do concentrate. 




The following Saturday I helped out with the Youth Corps Singapore and Ground Up Initiative with the opening of the Something Old, Something New thrift store. The Youth Corps were tasked to enhance the public's awareness of the store, and put together programme for the launch. We had woodwork, games and even juggling! I had a great time teaching kids how to upcycle clothes - we had a whole bag of pre-loved garments, and most of the kids sewed them into bags.  They had a lot patience, and it was a great way to take my mind off the protests.  

Something Old Something New is located at Block 106, Yishun Ring Road near Chong Pang. So after doing some thrifting you can pop over to Chong Pang for some yummy food!

Here are a few snap shots:

This girl made her bag from a pyjama sleeve before she went to try out some juggling!

Something Old, Something New is located at Blk 106, Yishun Ring Road

Two brothers sewing a stuffed toy
Trying out woodwork

The other sleeve became another bag for this girl.

Try to get the ball out of this maze!



author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

1 comment

no
no