-->
no
no

Value the Maker

1 comment


There are less than 5 days until Fashion Revolution Day! Fashion Revolution Day is not only about raising the public's awareness about the true cost of the current fashion business model, but it is about valuing the maker, the person who made your clothes. I would like to think that we should value everyone who makes things, be it the cobbler who mends your shoes by the side of the road, or the seamstress who hems your trousers.




I have been trying to mend my stained shirt with some embroidery. It took me a few hours just to complete half a cuff and a bit of the sleeve, and I still have a bit more to go. I can't imagine how long it would take me to complete the whole garment.  

Take a look at how this Mexican lady meticulously uses just a needle and thread to create an embroidered border. I wonder how long it took her to learn this technique AND perfect it. I am sure all of us have a hobby that took us quite a while to learn - photography, perhaps, or maybe even cooking? 


Next time you see someone making things, think about the skills they have, the patience they need to complete a project, and the effort they put into it. Let's all value the maker. 

Linking up to

made in a day
author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

1 comment

  1. I love your embroidery for mending stains. What a great idea, esp if it's a little stain. I really hate stained items and it can happen so quickly. I think the shirt looks nice with just the cuffs done.

    I think the value of making your own things isn't as great because we can buy something similar much cheaper at the big stores. When my daughter was little I used to buy her sun dresses. They cost about $5 each. Once, I made her a little sundress. Nothing fancy, close to the ones from the store. It cost $14. So now I don't make new clothes.

    ReplyDelete

no
no