-->
no
no

Trying to Weave Clothes

8 comments
Trying to Weave Clothes
My weaving journey so far has not been very good. I have been weaving and upcycling my scraps - sakiori - but I think I have been too eager to progress from weaving squares to something more advanced.
The first mistake I made was the tension!
I just forgot about it! I had already successfully woven two sample panels of upcycled scraps that it slipped my mind to watch the tension when I wove a bigger piece. My plan was to weave a top based on an old t-shirt. My brain told me that if I just pinned down the warp then everything that would follow would be magic. Unfortunately, that did not happen. Not only did I lose the tension, but the front panel of the top warped. I was feeling very disappointed as I had spent so much time and effort to weave it.

weaving sakiori

The second mistake I made was not taking into consideration the type of textile that would allow my garment to fit the body. The fact that I had used sakiori - weaving various scrap fabrics - did not help with the weaving either.  For a garment to work, I had to use the right type of fabric and the woven fabric had to be light enough to conform and drape nicely on the body. So now I have ended up with this warped creature!

weaving sakiori

weaving sakiori


So, lesson learned - planning is a must, and definitely don't hurry.

author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

8 comments

  1. I love watching the many different things you try, Agy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been weaving for a while, but have not yet woven any clothing pieces. You are a brave one! Thanks for the tips - we learn as much from our mistakes as from our successes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well texturally it looks wonderful. Perhaps it would transform nicely into a shopping bag?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like such a fun piece! Making mistakes is part of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love that you attempted to weave a woman's shirt. I can't wait to see how it turns out once you figure he process out. Your creativity amazes me, Agy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really cool! I"d say you are pretty talented to do that :) I cannot even sew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So interesting to read about your weaving journey, Agy!

    Obviously there are many things to be considered, but what a learning process for all of us. Thanks for letting us know! I'm curious to see what your future finding are in this. What about looser weaving which can be mixed with other materials (incorporated as a panel, for example) or looser weaving as added pattern pieces (such as sleeves) on another garment?

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete

no
no