-->
no
no

Fix it Friday - Mending with a Blanket Stitch

2 comments
Fix it Friday - Mending with a Blanket Stitch
I'm continuing with the make do and mend spirit, and I have received emails from readers saying how they have been encouraged by me to do the same.  Thank you so much for the support; it really means a lot to me when I know that there are people who read my blog.

When you mend you should never leave it until the last minute. Nip it in the bud because if you don't the tear will be aggravated by everything physical that can happen to it and you will end up doing more repair work than was originally necessary.

Mending with a blanket stitch
Can you spot the bit that is fraying?

Such was the case with my blue cotton top. For some strange reason the seam at the botton hole burst and started to fray. It was the last place I thought that would tear. Anyhow, I got caught up in work and family that I forgot about it and the little tuft of fraying started to get bigger.  So just a few days before Chinese New Year it was time to bring out the needle and thread.

Embroidery thread
Any ideas on how to keep embroidery thread in order once it's unpacked?

FACT - did you know that it is bad luck to use a pair of scissors or do any sewing on the first few days of Chinese New Year as it will supposedly bring bad luck?

I decided to make my mend a visible one although I had originally thought of using navy blue thread to match the top. And the perfect thread was sashiko thread, but you can use any type of embroidery thread.

This must have been the quickest mend ever! I wasn't racing against the clock but I think it was done in under 15 minutes.  Mind you, it was a very small button hole and I was going slowly to ensure that my stitches locked in the fray. On second thoughts, perhaps I should have used fray check first - oh well, too late.

Blanket stitch embroidery

Here's a video on the blanket stitch by Plush by Tammy



author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

2 comments

  1. I love using a blanket stitch for so many things. I like the variegated thread you use to repair this top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial. I am not very "handy" and the video helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete

no
no